Thursday, September 27, 2007

and by the way, about religious leaders

It occurred to me today for about the 10th time that I don't trust a spiritual leader who hasn't gotten their hands dirty. I don't really trust a spiritual leader who doesn't cuss sometimes. I don't trust a spiritual leader who isn't honest about stupid mistakes. I almost don't trust a spiritual leader who isn't a recovering alcoholic, for that point.
This is after my brief conversation with a chaplain who was openly cranky the last two times I tried to meet with him, who is at once gruff with staff and tender with patients, and who cussed in that gentle, conversational kind of way. And my supervisor who openly talks about her anger at God, her difficulty with grief, and her anxiety about meeting with patients. And how she went to see the Dalai Lama -- and the first time she saw him he was scolding the monks for sitting out of order, then who turned to the audience and said "I still have a long way to Enlightenment. I still can't stop swatting mosquitos."
And then there are friends who have struggled with death, disorders, abuse, and addictions...
I don't trust a religious leader who doesn't have zits and scars.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Here here! I'm totally with you.