Friday, April 17, 2009

a note about God and marriage

I was having a conversation with a prospective student this morning, which sort of solidified my thinking about same-sex marriage being a non-issue in religion.

If God is a God of love, what would be the reason for establishing arbitrary rules about who can and cannot marry each other?
[By arbitrary, I mean, what's the basis for opposing same-sex marriage except that "it's in the Bible"? (by now I hope you know that the Bible has nothing to say about LGBT people, because homosexuality as we understand it - as well as marriage as we understand it - did not exist in Biblical times).
We have to approach sacred texts critically because that's the only way to show proper respect. Ask questions and seek answers, isn't that the point? For those things that literalists use as proof that God doesn't like gays, we need to ask why they are there. If we don't, we risk using the text for our own purpose, and doing violence to its meaning and intent.]

And..If God is not a God of love, what would be the reason for monotheism?

Well, you could ask that last question anyway, but for the purpose of this argument, I hope you get what I mean.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just want to offer one thing...

We always use the text for our own purpose--some of us are just up-front about it while others are not.

Thanks for this Wade.