Monday, November 17, 2008

Quantum of Solace

Yesterday was the 2nd anniversary and my first date with my partner. We celebrated by going out to the Golden Lotus (where we had our first date) and catching Quantum of Solace at the Grand Lake Theater. Here's my review.
This film was a triumph of style and mood, to the point that I didn't really notice that I wasn't following the storyline. The opening titles were some of the best I've seen since The Inside Man. In fact, maybe the best opening titles I've seen - except for the rather annoying silhouettes of women that spun around in circles. With Judi Dench as M (a great casting decision), I want to move a little further away from such sexist objectification of women, please. Speaking of which, wasn't it amazing how Camille's high heels never came off during the whole airfight and parachute jump? Anyway, the visual style - a sort of mix between classic 60's hip Bond and future tech - made me want to buy white pants again. The choice of Jack White and Alicia Keys for the theme was also brilliant, fitting the style mix of hip classic and funky contemporary. Best song since Tina Turner's Goldeneye. I liked the wash of color in the settings - the whites and blacks, the tans and desert tones. The fight scenes were ballet - beautiful and funny at the same time. I picked up on some of the wry commentary on international politics - eg the British Foreign Secretary telling M "that's innuendo and supposition, and the British government doesn't make foreign policy on innuendo and indecision" (subtext: that's why Tony Blair joined Bush in invading Iraq- those supposed weapons of mass destruction). The subtle commentary about the US's involvement in Bolivia, Haiti, and other economically depressed areas. I liked the angle on 'the world's most precious commodity.' I also appreciated the portrayal of the two US CIA agents.
That's what I thought. It was great.
Now back to homework.

No comments: