Sunday, October 26, 2008

home to me

Yesterday, we took Mama (my mother-in-law) to the airport, back to Florida after an unsuccessful year of trying to find steady work that pays enough to be able to survive living in the Bay Area. It was sad to say goodbye to someone that I've grown close to, someone who has become a member of my family (or, actually, to whom I've become a member of her family). And today after a church service that emphasized how much abundance and blessing we receive as human beings, we had a fantastic brunch with my friends Emily & James. Then I started reflecting on a few difficult conversations I've had lately, with and about relatives and ancestors, the complications of family relationships. Some days are just a little deeper than others. I came home and listened to "Home to Me" by Josh Kelley (and a version from Noah's Arc, by Patrik-Ian).
Sometimes I can't believe how lucky I am to be creating a home and a family with my partner. I think this photo, taken by our friend Mateo, sums it up. The funny thing is that before the photo, we were arguing about something - and even though we were mad at each other about whatever-it-was, we had commitment, trust, and love to relax in each other's arms and work it out. Given some of my past crazy relationship habits, even after 2 years sometimes I still can't believe we've got something so good.

No comments: