Saturday, October 18, 2008

detachment and suffering

In my religious searching, I've often stumbled on the concept of detachment as the goal of spiritual practice. I hear about this in some strands of Buddhism, and it's especially pronounced in the Bhagavad Gita. The Bhagavad Gita teaches two spiritual paths: one of personal devotion to the God Krishna, and one of pursuit of the eternal Brahman/spirit of the cosmos. Both teach a practice (yoga, in the broad sense. not in the solely physical practice as often understood in the US) of transcendence of passions and detachment from outcomes (both positive & negative). I think this formulation of ancient Indian religion was also part of the background of Buddhism. Certain aspects of Buddhism also teach this detachment. I've been reflecting a lot on my resistance to detachment. While a reduction of suffering is a noble and necessary goal - and a practice of contemplative detachment & presence is a good way to get at reduction of suffering - detachment seems like a peculiar way to live in the world. I've been told by many people that it isn't detachment as distance. Not like the goal is to be unaffected by anyone else, but rather to understand that there is something beyond the daily good and bad of life, beyond the ebb and flow of passions. I get that, and maybe I'm just stuck on the word detachment. My answer to suffering isn't detachment but engagement. It's to go deeper in relationships, in presence with others - in a sense, to attach more. I think it has a lot to do with cultural message of white manhood (where there's often a favorable emphasis on detachment, reduction of emotional response, and boldness in the face of difficult and potentially hurtful situations). Coming from that, the answer isn't further detachment but closer connection. Obviously, the goal isn't to be swept away by suffering, or to be rendered useless by the overwhelming nature of suffering in the world. So an element of touching the larger canvas of the universe (God, Brahman, ?Nirvana?) is important. I think part of the issue is how we understand transcendence, too. My theology professor, Mayra Rivera, has just published a book called "The Touch of Transcendence: A Postcolonial Theology of God" where she argues that "God is not within human grasp but always within human touch." It's about "transcendence within," which I think is what I'm trying to get at. I guess I have to read the book, eh?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you seriously not read Rivera's book yet?? It's the BEST piece of theology on transcendence I have ever read. Ever. I remember listening to her lecture as a "visiting candidate" when we were first year students. She blew my mind. When we took IDS I continued to be spiraled further and further into her constructive proposal for inter-human difference as the site of transcendence. That way of conceiving G*d holds the possibilities for us to stop killing each other in G*d's name. Though I think abolishing world hunger might also do the trick. Too bad the average religious person won't touch her book because the language is too dense and the content too academic. It would take a fine fine pastor to translate her ideas into lay-people's terms. I hope someone does. Who knows--maybe we will someday. G*d knows her theory comes true in our friendship...

Going deeper in suffering...yes. Detachment is something i've always wrestled with as well. It does seem like the empirically driven good old boy's response to relationality. I really like Jesus' reactions to suffering: they change depending on context. He got angry, he touched people, he prayed and talked with folks. He provided resources. Sometimes he just wept. I don't know, allowing one's self to be affected seems a bit more honest and alive than just sitting cross legged with your eyes closed while someone is sitting next to you literally screaming in pain from the sores they've accumulated while being bed bound for 6 months. But then again, most people think being "affected" is just a sign of weakness, of being soft and too fragile--a.k.a: being too woman-ish. The association of character traits to genitalia blows my mind. Talk about prescriptive violence at the level of ideation...it's fucking depressing and TOTALLY senseless.

LB said...

Wade, Thanks for sharing your blog and for this post. I've been thinking alot about detachment--both in the personal context of grieving a loss and in the more professional role of trying to figure out this chaplaincy thing. Have you read "Making Friends with Death: A Buddhist Guide to Encountering Mortality"? I've not read the whole thing-- kind of pick up pieces here and there-- but, like you, I have this initial resistance to the language about detachment. As if we're not supposed to really feel a loss. But I'm thinking that detachment isn't about not feeling... I think it's about not pretending that we are in control. I am learning, for instance, that I suffer less when I really let myself feel something rather than try to control the feeling or the cause of the feeling. In the hospital, maybe I suffer less when I am just with someone in sadness (or whatever the feeling is) rather than getting attached to what might happen next (which I do all the time). The hardest thing is to just stay in the place of not-knowing. Perhaps this is where Emily's transcendence comes in.

Anonymous said...

Hi There I'd like to congratulate you for such a terrific quality site!
I was sure this would be a nice way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Hilary Driscoll
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/first-communion-party-supplies.html]first communion Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

[url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/logo.png[/img][/url]

בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - שלווה, [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] מרווחים, אינטימיות, [url=http://kfarbair.com/services.html]שקט[/url] . אנחנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מגוונים גם ישנו במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]אחרוחות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר מוגשות ישירות לחדרכם!

לפרטים נוספים אנא גשו לאתר האינטרנט שלנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike