Tuesday, November 6, 2007

wade's halloween joke

I haven't written in this blog for a while....oops.
A lot has been going on, but I haven't had a lot of time to write about it.
I'm moving away from the profession of chaplaincy as my final occupation because it just isn't feeling quite right, and at this point, I don't (or don't want to) have the capacity to hold all the suffering. You might say I need to be able to let it go faster, and I wouldn't argue. A staff chaplain told me to trust God, be open, and to let the process happen. I'll end up where I need to be.
I also recently almost got hit by a pickup truck while walking to work. It was the day after I talked with my CPE group about how difficult it is to work with spinal cord injury patients who have lost so much independence. They amaze me with their resilience, lying on their backs or fronts waiting for decubitus ulcers to heal, or for their bodies to become medically stable in order to get surgery. I was literally one step away from having my back broken by a big white pickup whose driver decided not to stop. As I jumped out of his way, his bumper or tire hit just the back part of the heel of my shoe. I was shaken.

But the REAl point of this post is to let you in on the first ever joke I made up on Halloween.
So here it is, wade's halloween joke:

A guy in a hospital gown walks into a room and sees a witch, a fairy, a hippie, and a priest. "Happy Halloween!" he says. "I see you all dressed up!" "Halloween?" says the witch. "That was last week! But welcome to the interfaith chaplains' office--how can we help you?"

I know, you're probably not falling off your chair, but cut me some slack--this is my first joke.
hope you all are having a good fall. there are a lot of red-leaf trees on the VA hospital campus.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wade, Glad you're back on line...sounds like a lot of discernment going on. Holding suffering is not easy & there are techniques/supports you can add it - feel free to e-mail me or call, I'd be happy to offer some ideas.

Sorry to hear about your near accident - we are horrified here & very very glad you're ok!
Joellynn

Anonymous said...

ps - btw - loved the halloween joke, reminds me of my chaplain training at San Francisco General!
xoxo Joellynn

Anonymous said...

Hey Wade,

Loved the joke. Thanks for making me laugh at the end of a long day.

I haven't really figured out what to do with the suffering, either. Usually after a bad day, I go home, speculate on whether I'm getting PTSD, and then feel shitty until it wears off. Although I do have other strategies! :) Last week was bad. This week is better. I'll try to call you tomorrow.

Meredith

Unknown said...

I want you to know that if anyone ever hit you with a truck, i would hunt them down.

...in my non-aggressive pacifist, all-loving way.