Monday, November 12, 2007

conflict

Yesterday I was talking with my friend Otter (otterspeak.blogspot.com) about CPE.
I was comparing my experience with Otter's and with my friend Anna's. From both of them, I heard stories of fighting, yelling, crying, and major conflict. My CPE experience has been remarkably civil. Disgreements happen, but I wouldn't call them conflicts. There have been theological disgreements and challenges about approaches and attitudes, but it's all so very civil. I wonder if we're not having enough conflict. I don't notice anything big simmering under the surface. I have felt offended over theological differences, and I have objected to some of my colleagues' approaches, but this has all be dealt with, for the most part. I'm wondering if all of us are avoiding conflict, or if we're just dealing with it in a healthy way. I can't imagine we're all as healthy as all that. But at the same time, I don't think I'm avoiding conflict myself.
I don't know. Do I need to reframe my concept of conflict? Or is my CPE group just more advanced than others?

No comments: