Friday, July 3, 2009

privacy

My partner and I have been talking about privacy and confidentiality when it comes to online stuff. How much do you share about your personal life, and how much do you consider your online "persona" when you post things? Do you think about who else may be seeing it, and unintended consequences?

My partner is a much more private person, where I am less concerned about that. The way I grew up, secrets and "privacy" ended up being prisons where I couldn't talk about my experience and reach out to others for help. So when I hear about privacy boundaries, I want to push on them. Why is it important to be private? I want to know.

At the same time, I am definitely guilty of saying too much, of revealing too much on my blog or on facebook, which I assume only friends and family read - but anyone can, searching on google.
So where's the line? As my friend Erica has said, usually you find a boundary when you stumble over it.
I'm curious what other people think about how they write about personal things online.

No comments: