Tuesday, September 2, 2008

beginning is ending is familiar

Today was my first day of classes -- begun this afternoon with a glorious bike ride to classes -- no traffic, no early mornings, no backache...and no singing in the car to myself. As usual with beginnings, something went wrong with my bike (last year, somebody stole the back wheel and the seat). This year the top fell off my speedometer, and my sunglasses broke in my bag. It was okay.
I saw some old friends I didn't expect to see, and I felt like a new student at the same time.
I also had the old familiar questions: am I religious enough for this place? am I the right kind of religious? Luckily I also had the familiar corrections. It doesn't matter what kind of religious I am, or what quantity. What matters is what I want to learn, and what relationship I have to my own sense of spirituality. Blah blah blah. It was a good day back, even if it wasn't exactly perfect.

No comments: