Monday, June 9, 2008

thanks to James Baldwin

I am reading Just Above My Head by James Baldwin. His novels are intense, and this is the best I've read. He writes so sharply, almost viciously, about the inner thoughts and experiences of his characters--in this case, a Black family in New York in the 1940s-60s. I don't know, I can't quite describe it, but his descriptions of his characters' inner lives is amazing. He is unsparing about the state of racial dynamics in the US, and it makes me wonder how much as really changed on the larger level. That's all, I just wanted to recommend it.

PS: Here's where I got the recommendation to read the book, from an article by Kai Wright about his father. (Kai Wright, incidentally, is the author of the book Drifting Toward Love: Black, Brown, Gay, and Coming of Age on the Streets of New York which I hope to read soon.)
Equanimity Under Duress
This is good stuff, about fathers & sons, about race & sexuality, about personal stories and experiences.

No comments: