Monday, June 9, 2008

body

Today I am home with a little health complication that is only serious enough to keep me from working too far away from a bathroom.

It reminds me that over the past few months I've noticed my body is just tired more often, and my mood is a little crankier. Plus I have all these little bruises, scrapes, and cuts from minor accidents where I hit my head while getting into a car or off the bus, or I scrape my finger while grating cheese or chopping onions. It reminds me that I stopped seeing my chiropractor because I couldn't afford it, and I no longer do Tai Chi with Emily, and I sort of cut out a lot of the body stuff I used to do (aside from exercise, which is helpful, but not the same thing). I wonder if anybody has suggestions about what they do to keep in touch and aware of their bodies.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Touch it and say out-loud "this is my body."

Christmas Card Commentary said...

This is a good reminder to me, too. When we're stressed, our coordination suffers - our body and mind really aren't separable, as our good PSR theologies would remind us.

I watched part of a PBS show on making your brain healthy to make your life better (Change Your Brain:Change Your Life or something - it was on during a telethon). The doctor-guy (I don't know what his real credentials were, but Bill Cosby came on first to say he liked him, so that's enough recommendation for me!) emphasized that there are various things we can do to make our brains healthier which have implications for the rest of our lives. Eating brain foods, getting enough sleep, avoiding alcohol and drugs, exercise, having sex, meditating, socializing - these are all good for our brains. Also, learning new things helps strengthen our brains. Another thing that's good is thinking positively. He said that negative thoughts decrease our brain function, and thus make us clumsier, precipitating more negative thoughts: a nasty spiral. It makes sense. I suppose you could check out the original if you wanted more details, but it was slightly tedious to sit through (I wouldn't have if my aunt and uncle weren't watching it).

Don't know if that's helpful, but I'm glad to be reminded (by you) how important it is for me to take care of my brain and my body together.