Monday, June 8, 2009

return

so in all the busy-ness of graduating and recovery, I took off the month of May.
I've actually got a lot to say (and this morning, shoveling granola in my mouth after going to the gym, not so much time to say it all).
Here's a list of the things I want to write about as I try to take up my practice of weekly writing again. It's a reminder for me as much as anything else.

- Rosemary Radford Ruether's book "America, Amerikka" about how the ancient Israelite notion of chosenness affected European and American history - Manifest Destiny, the annexation of Mexico (aka Texas, California, and the American Southwest) and Puerto Rico, the annihilation of Native Americans, the Cold War fight against communism, etc. My friend Emily gave it to me for graduation, and I'm about halfway through. I also just finished "Down at the Cross," an essay by James Baldwin about race relations in the 1960s where he picks up on a lot of the same themes from a very different angle.
- finding a space where I don't have to defend myself or certain relatives as we struggle to maintain a relationship in the middle of theological disagreement.
- planet God.
- and was it really a mistake to send an image of myself in the mail - what's gossip really about, anyway?

that's it. I hope to write more later - I've been carrying this stuff around for a while.

No comments: